Responsive Web Design
In the golden era of Information & Communication Technology, the corpus of electronic information is increasing rapidly. People come into view such information from World Wide Web through internet. Connectivity to internet is a very simple matter from different types of devices such as desktop computer, laptop, tablet pc, pda, notebook, mobile phone etc. Those various sized devices are used to view webpage which contain information to be displayed for public or for private sector.
There are several tools and techniques exist to develop webpage. But for different viewing screen need different resolution for which a ubiquitous technique is required to meet the demand. By keeping in mind about diversified instruments to view webpage in variable screen, Responsive Web Design (RWD) has been innovated.
The advantages of Responsive Web Design are also numerous in the perspective real world. Those are pointed as follows:
- Omnipresent design: The foremost benefit of a responsive design is its flexibility to adapt to different screens. Your website is easily accessible on all types of devices.
- Alternative to mobile-apps: RWD can be an alternative for mobile-apps to browse website as the website can be easily fit with the small/large device’s height & width.
- Better SEO: The URL structure remains same for all devices be it an iPad, desktop computer or a mobile that makes it easy for Google to index your site. So, it is making your site search engine optimized.
- Low cost: Cost effective for both user and provider of website.
- No extra tools: RWD needs no extra software to be adapted.
- Minimize dependence: Specially, people will be free from the burden of dependence to any specific device.
- Boost up sales: If a user encounters a problem while opening your site in his preferred device, you are sure to lose a potential customer. So, it might increase you trade.
- Easy to maintain: If you create multiple versions of your website – for desktop, mobiles, tablets, etc., you will end up updating all the different versions every time there is a change, be it adding a new web page, editing content or even correcting a typo. So, it will lessen your effort for maintenance.
RWD has no alternative for providing an optimal viewing experience – easy reading and navigation with a minimum resizing, panning and scrolling – across a wide range of appliances. Simply it can be said that a responsive web design uses “media queries” to figure out what resolution of device it’s being served on. The content of the webpage is loaded with relative height and width of the device. If anyone develops a website incorporating RWD, he/she doesn’t have to build more than once and it will work seamlessly across several types of screens almost eternally.
An evident point is that a Responsive Web Design is easy to maintain simply because it is a single website that opens flawlessly on different devices. When you need to update the site, website administrators have to update only on one platform.
Information can be viewed to small devices via mobile-apps or directly browse the website. According to the Pew Research Center, 60% of tablet users prefer reading news on the mobile web than via an app. So, a line of believe can be turned here that having a great mobile website should be the priority then mobile-apps. Obviously, the solution is to make website that works equally well on every device.
So, it is apparent that Responsive Web Design is very much demanded from the raw level to high professional where people want to do versatile task with a single handy tool.